Before and After: From Smelly To Stylin’

chair-redo

At the end of last year I sold some danish modern chairs, with a fair amount of post-sale regret. While I didn’t actually do the re-upholstery work, I had the vision of turning them from nothing into something awesome, and really loved the way they turned out. So shortly after I sold them I found another chair to transform and fill the void. It was on eBay and in Florida (could it be any further away?) yet it had potential and seemed in pretty good shape, so I bid on it. And won it. And had it shipped to San Francisco via Greyhound Bus. My plan was to live with it for awhile (the existing upholstery wasn’t too terrible) while I hunted for the perfect fabric.

IMG_1648

However, when I headed down to the bus station to pick it up on a Friday afternoon during rush hour (which I wouldn’t recommend to my worst enemy by the way), and unpacked it, I realized it reeked of smoke. Hoping it was just “bus fumes”, I let it air out in the empty apartment next door for a few days. But no such luck: this was smoker’s smoke.

To make a long story short, my plan of living with it for a while went out the window, and my “winter project” became someone else’s winter project. I took it to Klassik Living in Berkeley, where they stripped, sanded, stained, repaired, re-stuffed and re-upholstered the chair. It may have been overkill as it really wasn’t in bad shape, but I wanted no trace of that smoke in my apartment! And I splurged on some Norbar fabric to top it off. Because after all that work, this one was going to be a keeper……at least until I got the itch again.

chair-after